A Dialogue With Nature: Nine Contemporary Sculptors exhibition records
Scope and Contents
A Dialogue With Nature: Nine Contemporary Sculptorsheld at The Phillips Collection during 1992-1993, featured the sculpture of nine modern American artists whose work was inspired by the natural world. According to Guest Curator Linda L. Johnson, "the artists (Suzanne Anker, Patrick Dougherty, Carol Hepper, Robert Lobe, George Lorio, Jim Sanborn, Wade Saunders, Jeff Spaulding, Meg Webster) meld a diversity of influences to displace and manipulate nature in a manner that acknowledges and preserves its fragile complexity and power."
These curatorial records were collected and created during the research, planning and execution of the A Dialogue With Nature: Nine Contemporary Sculptors exhibition.
The three-part exhibition opened at The Phillips Collection in Washington D.C. on October 10, 1992 and closed on October 10, 1993 (October 10, 1992 – February 7, 1993: Carol Hepper, George Lorio, Jeff Spaulding) (February 27 – June 6, 1993: Patrick Dougherty, Jim Sanborn, Meg Webster) (June 19, 1993 October 10, 1993: Suzanne Anker, Robert Lobe, Wade Saunders).
The primary creator of the exhibition planning records was Linda L. Johnson, Guest Curator.
The bulk of the collection consists of exhibition research files. The records include individual artist reviews, correspondence, publicity, and installation related documents.
- 1989 - 1995
- Usage: The material in this collection were used in preparation for the 1992 exhibition.
- Johnson, Linda L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection includes restricted material.
.83 Linear Feet (2 full legal boxes)
Language of Materials
A Dialogue With Nature: Nine Contemporary Sculptors records contain materials created and collected by The Phillips Collection Curatorial Department during the process of organizing the 1992-1993 exhibition. Included are research and exhibition planning files.
This collection is arranged into two series: 1. Research 2. Exhibition Planning Research series the materials are arranged chronologically. Exhibition Planning series materials are arranged chronologically.
The collection is owned by The Phillips Collection and was accessioned from the curator's office.
After an initial survey of the collection, some documents were identified as being of no future reference value for the collection, such as duplicate material, poor quality photographs, and expense reports. These items were weeded with the librarian’s approval. Original newsprint articles were copied onto acid-free paper; all documents were re-foldered in acid-free folders and metal clips were replaced with plastic clips.
- Anker, Suzanne, 1946- (Artist)
- Art, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dougherty, Patrick, 1945- (Artist)
- Hepper, Carol, 1953-2021 (Artist)
- Lobe, Robert, 1945- (Artist)
- Lorio, George, 1950- (Artist)
- Modernism (Art) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Puryear, Martin, 1941- (Artist)
- Sanborn, Jim, 1945- (Artist)
- Saunders, Wade, 1949- (Artist)
- Sculpture, Modern -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spaulding, Jeff, 1947- (Artist)
- TPC.1992.6a-c -- Dialogue With Nature: Nine Contemporary Sculptors Subject Source: Local sources
- Webster, Meg, 1944- (Artist)
- art exhibitions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- The Phillips Collection. Curatorial Department (Organization)
- A Dialogue with Nature: Nine Contemporary Sculptors exhibition records, 1989-1995
- The Phillips Collection Library and Archives 1600 21st Street NW Washington D.C. 20009
- Michele De Shazo, Volunteer Archives Assistant, supervised by Karen Schneider, Librarian
- April-June 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the The Phillips Collection Archives Repository
1600 21st St. NW
Washington DC 20009 United States