Gauguin and His Circle in Brittany: The Prints of the Pont-Aven School exhibition records
Scope and Contents
Gauguin and His Circle in Brittany: The Prints of the Pont-Aven School, held at The Phillips Collection in 1986-1987, was a group exhibition which included 85 etchings, lithographs, and woodcuts. The artists represented include Paul Gauguin, Emile Bernard, Paul Serusier, Armand Seguin, Roderic O’ Conor, Cuno Amiet, Henri Delavallee, Robert Bevan, and Maxime Maufra.
These curatorial records were collected and created during the research, planning, and execution of the Gauguin and His Circle in Brittany: The Prints of the Pont-Aven School exhibition.
The exhibition opened at The Phillips Collection in Washington D.C. on November 22, 1986 and closed on January 4, 1987.
The primary creator of the exhibition planning records was The Phillips Collection Curatorial Department.
The bulk of the collection consists of exhibition related documents. The records include correspondence, publicity, and planning documents.
- 1986 - 1987
- Usage: The material in this collection were used in preparation for the 1986 exhibition.
- Boyle-Turner, Caroline, 1949- (Person)
Biographical / Historical
The exhibition at The Phillips Collection marked the North American debut of 19th Century French prints from the Pont-Aven School from the collection of Samuel Josefowitz.
.31 Linear Feet (1 legal folder)
Language of Materials
Gauguin and His Circle in Brittany: The Prints of the Pont-Aven School records hold material created and collected by The Phillips Collection Curatorial Department during the process of organizing the 1986-1987 exhibition. Included are correspondence, publicity, articles and reviews.
The collection is arranged into one series: Exhibition Planning. This series is arranged chronologically.
The collection is owned by The Phillips Collection and was accessioned from the curators' office.
After an initial survey of the collection, some documents were determined to be of no future reference value for the collection, such as duplicate documents and expense reports. These items were weeded with the librarian’s approval. Original newsprint articles were copied onto acid-free paper; all documents were re-foldered and metal clips were replaced with plastic clips.
- Art, French -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gauguin, Paul, 1848-1903 (Artist)
- Modernism (Art) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- TPC.1986.11 -- Gauguin and His Circle in Brittany: The Prints of the Pont-Aven School exhibition records Subject Source: Local sources
- art exhibitions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- The Phillips Collection. Curatorial Department (Organization)
- Gauguin and His Circle in Brittany: The Prints of the Pont-Aven School exhibition records, 1986-1987
- The Phillips Collection Library and Archives 1600 21st Street NW Washington D.C. 20009
- Michele De Shazo, Volunteer Archives Assistant, supervised by Karen Schneider, Librarian
- June 29, 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the The Phillips Collection Archives Repository
1600 21st St. NW
Washington DC 20009 United States