Leland Bell exhibition records
Scope and Contents
Leland Bell, held at The Phillips Collection in 1987, featured a retrospective of the artist’s work. As a high school student Bell found much of his artistic inspiration while touring The Phillips Collection, then called The Phillips Memorial Gallery. Guest Curator Nicholas Fox Weber stated in the exhibition catalogue, “it is completely appropriate that with this exhibition- which shows Bell’s work from his early abstractions of the 1940’s right through his most current achievement- Leland Bell has returned to the scene of his first loves.” These curatorial records were collected and created during the execution of the Leland Bell exhibition and catalogue. The exhibition opened at The Phillips Collection in Washington D.C. on January 24 1987 and remained until March 15, 1987. The primary creator of the collection was, Guest Curator, Nicholas Fox Weber in collaboration with Willem de Looper, Curator. The bulk of this collection consists of post-exhibition reviews and invitations. The records include; correspondence; an exhibition checklist, and a preview dinner guest list.
- 1986 - 1987
- Usage: The material in this collection were used in preparation for the 1987 exhibition.
- Weber, Nicholas Fox, 1947- (Person)
Conditions Governing Use
This material is owned by The Phillips Collection.
0.31 Linear Feet (1 legal folder)
Language of Materials
Leland Bell exhibition records encompass materials created and collected by the Curatorial Department, the Phillips Collection and Nicolas Fox Weber, Guest Curator, throughout the process of organizing the 1987 exhibition. Included are reviews, invitations, an event invitation list and correspondence.
This collection has been arranged into one series, Exhibition Planning.
The collection is owned by The Phillips Collection and was accessioned from the curator’s office.
After an initial inventory of the collection, some documents were identified as being of no future reference value for the collection, such as duplicate documents and expense reports. These items were weeded with the librarian’s approval. Original newsprint articles were copied onto acid-free paper; all documents were re-foldered in acid-free folders and metal paper clips were replaced with plastic clips.
Processed by: Michele De Shazo, Volunteer Archives Assistant, supervised by Karen Schneider, Librarian from January 2009 to February 2, 2009.
- Art, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bell, Leland, 1922-1991 (Artist)
- TPC.1987.1 -- Leland Bell Subject Source: Local sources
- art exhibitions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- The Phillips Collection. Curatorial Department (Organization)
- Leland Bell exhibition records, 1986-1987
- The Phillips Collection Library and Archives 1600 21st Street NW Washington D.C.
- Michele De Shazo, Volunteer Archives Assistant
- January 2009 - February 2, 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the The Phillips Collection Archives Repository
1600 21st St. NW
Washington DC 20009 United States